Toonami is Back
Posted by Kayla Rose
I honestly don’t remember much of Toonami. My friends all cite it as a key part of their childhood, but looking at the dates that it ran, I’m fairly sure I usually either (a) didn’t have cable, or (b) my family was very anti-TV* during its time. So I’ve never entirely understood the attachment to what I understand to be a time-block of television shows.
But I sat down to watch last night, if only because of the geek-obligation.
I will say, I wasn’t terribly impressed with the fact that they decided to open up with Bleach. I understand the show is hugely popular, but I can’t understand why. I truly enjoyed the first couple of seasons, but once Rukia was captured or whatever I quickly lost interest. There’s an obvious, weak formula the plot follows almost every episode, and while, yes, I understand it’s an action anime… I don’t know, maybe it just isn’t to my taste, but every time I hear someone talk about how much they love Bleach, I want to punch them forever. Also, I disagreed with Toonami’s decision to open with episode 255. Would it have hurt to have started at the begging of a story arc? I spent most of that thirty minutes wonder who the hell all these people were and why is Rukia & Co. staring at a giant rock made of buttholes.
Also, I don’t care what Ichigo said in previous seasons, his name does not mean “protector”, いちご is Japanese for “strawberry.”
Deadman Wonderland was… better? I was attempting a running twitter commentary during the entire block, and here’s some of the things I said about DW:
- @12:33 AM: I’m confused. Is this the first episode? Is it? WHY IS THAT GUY HURTING PEOPLE. DID EVERYONE DIE. WHAT. IS THIS THE END.
- @12:34 AM: “I’m in ur classroom, killin all ur friendz.”
- @12:43 AM: Happy birthday, @nerdella, here’s a show about massacred middle-schoolers.
- @12:51 AM: Why is this girl naked, covered in paint, and wearing a neckbrace and a baseball mitt?
I guess I like the show. I expected… I don’t know what I expected. I did not expect any of that. I assume the guy has, what, bloodbender powers now? At any rate, the show is pretty brutal, not sure if I’m really into it or not. Parts of it seem extremely silly.
Casshern Sinsthrew us right back into the world of “wtf am I watching.” Here’s some commentary I had during its run:
- @1:01AM: “Luna… I will kill you. But first… we DANCE! To this delightful opening credits music!”
- @1:07AM: Ending every statement with “…full of robots” is the new meme. Go!
- @1:16AM: Ringo looks like an alien. Just sayin’. She’s too cute to not be evil somewhere down the line.
- @1:25AM: …is everyone robots? is that what this show is about? robots?
While I enjoyed Casshern Sins more than Deadman Wonderland, I certainly don’t understand what’s going on there, either.
I zonked out during FMA, not because I don’t like it, but because I’ve finished Fullmetal Alchemist and they aired an episode I hadn’t seen before, so I didn’t know the context for anything that was happening. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is one of my favorite animes of all time, don’t get me wrong, but I was pretty lost and not as young as I used to be. I did miss not getting to watch Cowboy Bebop, but the last time I saw anything related to Ghost in the Shell I was hella confused, so I think I’ll live.
At any rate, I did enjoy Toonami, but since I’m a noob, I’m not quite sure what the big deal is. Maybe someone can explain to me, because all of my nerd friends are too busy telling me that I have no more nerd cred.
* We had the big TV in the basement, but it was loud and difficult to work. There was a small tv on the main floor, too, but my parents expected me and my sisters to be in our rooms by 9pm on weeknights and 11pm on weekends.
- What Everyone Else Thinks on Toonami’s Return (organizationasg.com)
- “Deadman Wonderland” and “Casshern Sins” Coming to Toonami (geek-news.mtv.com)
- Hey, 90s Kids: Toonami is Back! (onegirlgeek.wordpress.com)
About Kayla RoseLeave me alone, let me drink my tea and write my snark.
Posted on May 27, 2012, in Not Writing and tagged AdultSwim, anime, blecah, CartoonNetwork, Casshern Sins, Cowboy Bebop, deadman wonderland, FMA, fullmetal alchemist, ghost in the shell, ichigo, rukia, television, tom, toonami, tv, tv shows. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.